Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Keeping to the finish five rule

A few posts ago, I came clean about all of my unfinished objects laying around or stuffed in the bottom of a bag. I then gave myself a rule - namely, no starting new projects until five of the unfinished objects were either finished or returned to the yarn state.

Well, I finished the first five objects and started these socks while travelling around in Nebraska. The pattern is from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks. They will be for my husband.

I also posted earlier today about another new project that I started (a secret project with a deadline even). I was "allowed" to start this new project because I had finished five old projects. Most of these did not require any knitting, just finishing (like weaving ends or seaming).

Project 1 - Red Dulaan Scarf

Yarn - from a partial skein, donated by a friend. I think it was a Lion Brand Yarn.
Pattern - I just made it up. A haphazard series of welts on a stockinette stitch background.
Note - Will be donated to the Dulaan project. It just needed the ends woven in.

Project 2 - Handknit Hat
Yarn - My own handspun.
Pattern - Winged it as I went along.
Notes - Another for the Dulaan pile.


The blue yarn at the top of the hat is some of my very first handspun. It has that 'charming' thick-and-thin look to it.
Some regions were underspun


Others were very overspun.


The brown and grey yarns I spun around Christmas time - improvement is encouraging.


Project 3 - Baby Dulaan Hat (modeled by Oscar the snow owl)

Yarn: Brown Sheep Nature Spun Sport
Pattern: It came from Interweave Knits, but I don't remember which one and am too lazy to look it up.
Notes - Here's another picture I really like.



Project 4 - Funky Hat

Yarn - Bits and bobs left over from other projects and no ball bands.
Pattern - Made up by me. This was supposed to be a square hat, but it turned out to be a rectangle.
Notes - I was going to send it to Dulaan, but it is a bit strange. I may just keep it for myself in the Island of Misfit Knits. Though I may wear it from time to time.

Project 5 - Shawl
I should think of a better name for this shawl, but . . .
All of the finished objects above only required seaming or weaving in of ends. This one actually required a bit of knitting. I finished it up while at the Royals game last Saturday.

Pattern - Again, I made it up as I went along.
Yarns - I knit this with two strands of yarn held together.

A cotton yarn bought on the cone at Yarn Barn (in KS) and a fancy ribbon type yarn that Target was selling in their dollar bins about a year or so ago. I really like the plush fabric these yarns make together.





No comments: