Monday, August 6, 2007

Changes

Whew, the past few weeks have been a bit strange. I have gone from doing field work under the blue skies of New Mexico to unpacking boxes in the haze-filled skies of Kansas City (we have had several days of orange level ozone alerts). I have gone from living in a tiny duplex in an neighborhood filled with Victorian houses to a decent sized house in suburbia. The biggest change for me though is going from being a student to being a professor. Now technically since December, I have not been a student and I was teaching at the University of Kansas, where I earned my Ph.D. But I was never a part of the department as a faculty and I had been working with my advisor getting some papers published, so I still felt like a student. Even this summer, I still felt like a graduate student. But now, as I am slowing settling into my new office, it has hit me. I am no longer a student. For the first time in my life. And it a good, though strange, feeling.

I have a lot to updates to write - my trip to New Mexico, my new stomping grounds, and even (believe it or not) some knitting. And these will come in the following days. I will say that I knit less than expected on my New Mexico trip. And, I did not pick up my needles for a week after returning. But last night, while listening to baseball on the radio, I grabbed my knitting. So expect a few knitting updates.

Have a great day!

No comments: