Sunday, February 4, 2007

New knitting projects

I have been doing some knitting - in four of the major knitting groups: Cables, Lace, Colorwork, and Sock.

Cables
No picture, but I have been working away at the Cul-du-sac vest I started at the beginning of January. I have the back done and have some progress on one of the front sides. I think in the next large chunk of knitting time I have, this project will be my focus. But it does require attention, so it is not good social knitting


Lace
Presenting Nordic Diamonds, knit from pattern in Victorian Knitting Today with the boring name of "Double-bordered scarf". At first, I was not sure of the combination of yarn and pattern, but after getting past the first repeat, I am starting to really like it. However, it is also a project that requires attention. Because of the double-border, each row of knitting requires two different rows of the stitch pattern (one on the left and one on the right).

Colorwork
I went to the public library yesterday on a whim and was happy to find Folk Mittens by Marcia Lewandowski. Ever since seeing these mittens over at Pat's site, I have desired making these mittens. However, when I got home I realized that I did not have the correct yarn in my stash. I did however have yarn suitable for the Anatolian Mittens, which I started yesterday. I am eager to finish these, as it has been really cold here. They also require a bit of attention. Below is a not-very-good picture of the pattern that will appear on the back of the hand, I did not get a good picture of the palm pattern, but I will soon.

Socks

It became apparent that I needed a project that did not require such careful attention as my other current projects. And so I started "Gentlemen's Plain Winter Socks" from Knitting Vintage Socks, made less plain by knitting them in bright rainbow-colored self-striping yarn.

2 comments:

Anne P said...

That lace pattern is one on my to-do list. I like the geometric shape of it. My main problem with that book is trying to figure out which of the patterns to try first. I like almost all of em.

Anonymous said...

I think you made the right choice with the Anatolian Mittens - they are much more fun to make than the Arans! and I LOVE your colors....better that mine! (yes they DO require concentration and watch out there are several mistakes in the chart - 2 in the main pattern and 12 in the thumb! - let me know if you want me to be more specific - row #s etc.)