Monday, April 16, 2007

Today's Tragedy

My heart goes out to the students, parents, faculty, staff, and alumni of Virginia Tech. I cannot imagine going through a tragedy like this.

At the same time, scenarios are running through my head. What could I do to keep my students safe? How could I, in a class with so many people and so many doors keep me and them safe? Or would I be the first target, so it wouldn't matter? I feel more than a little vulnerable right now. I think teaching tomorrow will be hard.

1 comment:

fillyjonk said...

I laid awake for a looooooong time last night thinking about the classrooms where I teach...there is no way to lock the doors from the inside (which is what our "Emergency Procedures Handbook" so helpfully tells us to do). The doors even open OUT into the halls so we couldn't barricade them shut. We're pretty much sitting ducks if someone decides to do evil.