Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Luck

Wow - I can't believe that over a month has passed since I have last posted. Time flies and all.

In honor of my good friend - Sparkling Squirrel, I have entitled my post "Luck". For the last several years, SS has been exploring different themes each year - past themes have included: pink, sparkling, rodents. This year, it is luck. She has several interesting posts about luck on her blog. And it got me thinking about luck.

I have had some bad luck (but thankfully, not in any major way). Most of this bad luck has expressed itself in my plant biology lab. First - measuring pigment light absorption using a table-top spectrometer. It turns out that acetone (the chemical which we used to extract our pigments) will melt plastic cuvettes. Second - failed seed germination experiment in my plant biology lab. We were attempting to germinate the seeds in petri dishes on moist filter paper. The problem - mold. We are going to set up the experiment again after Spring Break. In hopes of not repeating the mold problem, we will rinse the seeds in a very dilute bleach solution.
Hmmmm - maybe the issue here isn't luck, so much as lack of preparation on my part. As Edna Mode says - "Luck favors the prepared"

In addition to dealing with failed experiments, I have been doing some knitting. In fact, I have somehow managed to knit three hats since I last updated. Though in the last few weeks, my knitting time has been almost non-existent. In fact, I do believe that it is the least amount of time I have spent knitting since I began knitting 7 years ago. But I know these things go in cycles and I will have more time to knit in the future.

Well, it's off to bed for me. Hope you have a good night.

No comments: