Saturday, May 31, 2008

Cedar Creek, WV

I am currently sitting at the kitchen table of my good friend, Sparkling Squirrel, in West Virginia. I have come to visit for a few days before we head off to the Economic Botany conference at Duke tomorrow. What a wonderful time, and what a luxury to get to spend so much time with a good friend. Yesterday I helped her plant flowers. Today we went on a hike with her husband at a local state park - Cedar Creek.

We were on the Parkview Trail. It was not a long trail - about 3 miles, but it was steep. Although I argue that Kansas is not that flat of a state, we do not have mountains, not the long extended climbs up and down. I am definitely tired- my legs were shaky after the extended, very steep downhill portion of the hike.

I do enjoy the physical activity and it was beautiful out there. Unlike the last time I visited, 1.5 years ago, I brought my digital camera. It was cloudy at times, and my camera does not deal well with such light situations. I did get some nice shots though. Below are some of my favorites.


West Virginia Woods

Stone Steps on Fisherman's Trail

My favorite plant on the trail - Wild Stonecrop (Sedum ternatum). I did not get a good picture. I love the shape of the leaves. I would like this in my garden at home!

Sori on the back of a fern. I just loved the pattern they made.

Hawkweed flowers (Hieracium sp.)A sycamore tree leaning over the creek
A close up of moss sporophytes and some lichens

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

No comments: